1.      I was just registered, why do I have to renew?

In North Dakota, renewals are based on a two-year cycle.  All licenses expire on December 31 of even numbered years.  When you are licensed in an even numbered year, your license is subject to renewal unless you were licensed after the beginning of the fourth quarter.

2.      When do businesses have to renew?

Certificates of Commercial Practice must renew their certificates annually by December 31.

3.      How many PDH’s do I need?

The full biennium requirement is 30 PDHs.  Depending on when you were licensed, your requirement may be different.  It will be 30 PDH’s unless you were told differently by the Board office.

4.      How many PDH’s can I carryover?

The maximum carryover amount is 15 PDH’s.

5.      What is a Model Law Engineer (MLE), Model Law Surveyor (MLS) or a Model Law Structural Engineer (MLSE)?

NCEES is a national organization created by state licensing boards across the United States.  NCEES hosts an annual meeting and all member boards attend.  During that meeting, the member boards create and modify the NCEES Model Law.  A Model Law Engineer is someone whose original licensure was obtained in manner that is in compliance with the NCEES Model Law.  Only NCEES record holders have these designations.  If you are an NCEES record holder and are not sure if you have a Model Law designation, contact NCEES to find out before you start filling out an application for North Dakota.  There are different forms for Model Law applicants.

6.      Do I have to have exams?

Yes.  North Dakota law requires that all applicants have taken and passed an 8-hour exam in the fundamentals of engineering or fundamentals of surveying and an 8-hour exam in the principles and practice of engineering or the principles and practice of surveying.  There are no provisions to waive these requirements.

7.      Do you charge for verifications?


8.      How long does it take to get a verification?

Requests for verification are mailed within one business day of the request.

9.      How long does it take to get a license?

The Board meets about every 6 weeks.  If you are not a Model Law applicant, your application must be considered by the Board.  Applicants with a Model Law designation do not have to wait until a Board meeting to be considered.  If approved, a Model Law applicant usually has a license within the week.

10.  Can I use a PDH/CEC log from another state?

Yes.  If the form required by the other state contains the same information as North Dakota’s form, you can use their form.  You must have the reporting period relevant to North Dakota and sign and date the form.

11.  I do not have a U.S. degree; do I need to get a degree evaluation?

Yes.  North Dakota requires that all non-U.S. degrees be evaluated by an education evaluation service.  North Dakota will only accept evaluations from NCEES Education Evaluation Services.  Information about the service is located on this web site.

12.  What are the requirements for licensure?

The requirements for licensure vary depending on the type of education you have.  Please read the information located on the “Registration Requirements” menu item on this web site.

13.  How old can references be?

Reference letters must be dated within the last 6 years.  If you have a Model Law designation, the reference letters in your NCEES record do not expire. 

14.  Does my company need to be licensed?

Yes.  All businesses offering engineering or land surveying services in North Dakota, need to have a Certificate of Commercial Practice.  This includes sole proprietors.  If you are practicing as an individual under your own name and not a trade name, you do not need a Certificate of Commercial Practice.

15.  How do I update my address and employment information?

Use the Contact Us form available on this web site to change your address or update your information.